Monday, August 22, 2011

My Visit to the Farnsworth House, Part I



It wouldn't be a visit to Chicago without a visit to the Farnsworth House.  Designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and built in 1951 in Plano, Illinoiso for Dr. Edith Farnsworth, a prominent Chicago nephrologist - this is one of the most studied and talked about houses of the 20th century.  

I took the Metra Rail from Chicago to Aurora, IL, the very last stop on the line.  From there you have to take a 30 minute taxi ride to Plano.  Plano is a small, sleepy, rural city.  As I chatted with the driver, I looked out the window and saw cornfields, silos, and small farmhouses passing by.  





I arrived at the visitors center at the Farnsworth House, and met with the guide, as you must be part of a guided tour to go in.   From there it was a good 20 minute walk through the forest before we arrived at the house.






















Click here to read part II, see interior photos, and read more of my musings on this house.


................

No comments:

Post a Comment